#SaboreaTuCultura with this Mexican Casserole Recipe
Disclaimer: This blog post is part of a compensated campaign with Dime Media and Sedano’s, however, all opinions are my own.
During the winter months, I’m always the most inspired to stay at home and cook tasty dinners with my familia. So, when Sedano’s contacted me and asked me to share one of my favorite recipes that highlights our family traditions, I was quick to select one of my go-to meals during this time of year: Mexican Casserole. This is an award-winning recipe that my mother passed down to me and really showcases how the Mexican and Southern cultures of the US have molded together to produce some pretty tasty cuisine!
Since part of tradition is passing that on to others, I want to do that today and share this family recipe with you all! Hopefully you will join in and showcase your favorite meals with the #SaboreaTuCultura movement!
To get started, I visited my local Sedano’s location (on Bird Road) to pick up the ingredients I needed for the recipe. Can we just talk about how picturesque this store is? I was immediately put into a good mood as I walked up to this bright and open store, which is always a great way to start your shopping experience!
I was immediately drawn to (what I would say is the coolest thing I’ve seen in any grocery store ever) the “S” mural made out of coffee cans that was by the entrance. While I was very tempted to sit and enjoy a cortadito in the cafe (so Miami!), I pushed my way through to the produce section to begin shopping!
Here are the ingredients that were on my Sedano’s Shopping List:
Mexican Casserole Recipe Ingredients
- 1-pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 small can of drained corn
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
As I was going up-and-down each aisle (there was so much to see!), I was impressed by the wide selection of products. I especially loved that they had brands from across Latin America, so that no matter your heritage, you could have some of that “sabor” in your kitchen in the US. Beyond just groceries, I also loved the traditional Hispanic cookware that was available so that you can keep your dishes as authentic as possible!
So now, let’s move this back to MY kitchen in Miami, where I prepared the meal. Here are the step-by-step instructions:
Mexican Casserole Recipe Preparation:
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the salsa, beans, dressing, sour cream, taco seasoning and cumin.
- Spoon a generous layer of meat mixture on bottom of 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Place a flour or corn tortilla on top of meat mixture. Layer with half of the meat mixture, and cheese. Repeat as many layers as you like.
- The last & final layer should be a healthy dose of grated cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes, or until hot & bubbly.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before topping with lettuce, tomato and cilantro. Yield: 8 servings.
Simple, right? I can guarantee that this dish is just as tasty as it looks in the photo! My Mexican boyfriend helped me this time and he especially loved the combination of the taco seasoning with the cumin.
So, next time you are prepping for a meal with the familia, keep this recipe in mind, I promise it will be a big hit! Plus, if you want to have an extra special shopping experience, make your way to our nearest Sedano’s!