NEUTROGENA’s “Sun Up, Sun Down” Myths and Twitter Party
This is a compensated campaign in collaboration with NEUTROGENA and Latina Bloggers Connect.
Ok, so I might be partial to May 22nd, since its my birthday, but now there is also something else really cool happening on this date! This year, Neutrogena is kicking off the “Sun Up to Sun Down” social media movement to stress the importance of sun safety for the entire familia. You can follow along with this online convo with #ChooseSkinHealth hashtag as expertos and normal gente weigh in with insights and great info on sun care. With my white, gringa, skin…I’ve definitely heard my share of skincare tips and warnings about how to protect my delicate piel. Its important, however, to acknowledge which of the advice I’ve always heard is a misconception and which is actually true! That’s exactly what Neutrogena wants to do with this campaign, so we are going to share some of the biggest myths about sun care:
- Darker skin makes Latinas less susceptible to skin cancer: WRONG! There is no natural defense from the sun, even if your skin has a darker pigmentation or you’re not prone to burning.Even though Latinas have a higher concentration of melanin (pigment that gives skin its color), Hispanic women are also prone to skin aging and skin cancer if excessively exposed to the sun without appropriate sun protection.
- It takes years to see the effects of sun damage on my skin: NOPE! Studies have found that marks on your skin such as spots, lines and freckles can appear within weeks of sun exposure. UV rays alter pigment and cause loss of skin elasticity and firmness.
- When you are not in direct sun you have nothing to worry about: NO WAY, JOSE! There is a risk of sun damage and skin cancer both indoors and outdoors even if you are not directly exposed to the sun.
I have always been extra careful with my sun care, so I actually wear SPF pretty much on a daily basis in the bright Miami sun! Recently, I’ve fallen in love with the Neutrogena Beach Defense Sunscreen line because it stays on even when I come in contact with water in the pool, at the beach, or even during my long runs through my neighborhood. The HELIOPLEX® Technology forms a broad spectrum UVA and UVB protective barrier that is clinically proven to help skin defend against harsh summer elements.
If you want to keep the conversation going, then you should definitely join the Twitter party happening on 5/22. They are really taking the whole “sun up, sun down” thing seriously and are extending this fiesta throughout the day! All the info you need is below…really hope you can join in!
“Sun Up, Sun Down” Tweet-A-Thon on May 22nd at http://twubs.com/
chooseskinhealth at the following hours below:
- 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM EDT/ (2:00 PM – 3:00 PM PDT): Sun Protection Myth-Busters: Debunk some of the most common sun care myths
- 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT/ (4:00 PM – 5:00 PM PDT): Melanoma is Colorblind: Sun protection for all skin tones
Tweet ya there, amigas!