Lesson 8: ¿Quieres Café? How to Order Cuban Coffee.
I don’t know about you, but I love coffee! Since I moved to Miami, I’ve had the pleasure of learning all about the amazing-ness that is café cubano. While I was lucky enough to get the Café 101, I can only assume many gringos find themselves perplexed by the options. That includes La Rubia, who found herself a little confundida at the famous Cafe Versailles on Calle 8 and called me for support. So, to all the cuban-coffee-crazed gringos…this one is for you!
- Cafecito or Café Cubano– This is just a small shot of Café Cubano, nothing fancy…but it’s intense, so be ready!
- Colada – For those who need more than just one shot of coffee…the colada serves around 5 or more. This is very common in Miami offices, one person will drop by for a colada and then pass around the cafecito around 2-3pm in la tarde.
- Cortadito – My personal favorite, coradito literally meaning “a small cut” because the café cubano is cut with a bit of milk.
- Café con Leche – If you ask me, the proper name for this drink should be: Leche y Azucar con Café. Like a little coffee with your cream and sugar? Then this is for you! I prefer when I receive the milk and cafecito separately, so I can get just the right amount of dulce….so yummy!
- Café Americano – For those who prefer the familiar and want to order a good ‘ole cup of Joe.